We just finished the race at Mauna Kea and Dave took 5th place overall (100+)riders. Now let me brag. The following are the top reasons I think that Dave's placing says a lot about him.
1. He has not been on a dirt bike for over 3 years
2. He did not have a chance to ride the coarse or practice the terrain at all before the race. In fact a 3 hour ride two weeks ago was his only warm up.
3. He has never ridden jungle terrain like the first part of the course.
4. He rode injured.
5. The first 4 finishers set up the course, talk about advantage.
6. He got no sleep the night before Lydia decided that would be her contribution!
7. The rest of the riders talked about how much they trained for the race.
We were up at 4 A.M. Sunday arrived at the start just outside Hilo, HI
by 5 A.M. Race started at 6 A.M.. Dave rode 36 miles through some crazy jungle terrain. Elevation started at 800 feet and finished at 6300 feet to the first check point. Second Leg, 63 miles around Mauna Kea volcano which started at 6300 ft went to 9700 ft then back. The best part was each leg had a significant period of pouring rain, and when I say pouring were talking cats and dogs. So between temperature, weather and elevation alone it is a crazy course. I wont even get started on the terrain.
We had a great time, met some nice people and I got a rad tan that resembles something of a raccoon crossed with farmer john (even with SPF 55). Happy to report for all of you that think I am too overprotective with Lydia, she even got dirty!
Long of short he rocked the race. Lydia and I are very proud of him.
Go Daddy!
![]() |
| Mauna Kea |







No comments:
Post a Comment